Of course this is not all we have to do!! But, last week we said that the Key Language Skills are:
Practicing them is just setting the stage for now, assuming your students are advanced enough to practice them. If they are not, they can be simplified to their level.
Content is optional according to vocabulary they know but the formation and order of these statements and answers must be precise and long enough to show this. Your aim is accuracy. Never accept a simple ‘yes’ or ‘no’ as an answer or sloppy performance.
I’ve prepared a fun quiz to give to your students to see which type of person they claim they are if they are willing to admit it! They can also make a choice on which one they like to act out.
- TEACHER–PHILOSOPHER: You are good at explaining, describing and asserting your opinions.
- DETECTIVE OR NEWS WRITER: You ask lots of questions to get the whole picture.
- RESPONSIVE AND COOPERATIVE: you are a precise question answerer, and provide accurate feedback.
- DEBATER OR POLITICIAN: You love to take the opposite viewpoint or play the Devil’s advocate so you always contradict others.
- EMPEROR OR BIG BOSS: You prefer to sit back and tell everyone else what to do.
Which one are you?
I am the: ____________________________________
No matter what they answered, they need to practice all of these skills sooner or later, and for them sooner is better than later! In fact, they need to practice them until they can use them correctly upside-down and backwards in the dark!